Today I’m joining the ladies over at 5MinutesforMom in their Tackle it Tuesday. What I want to tackle today, or at least get started on, was actually a project I started on about a year ago, but when my hard drive died.. the project died with it.
Having two girls that are quickly becoming young adults, I want to be able to pass on to them some of our favorite family recipes. Ones that they grew up with and also the ones that I and their father grew up with.
I want to create a family recipe book. Not only with recipes but also little notes and maybe even pictures that share the memories behind them. I guess you could call it a scrapbook cookbook if you wanted to.
So today, my Tackle it Tuesday is to do some research online as to how to work this out. I’m wondering if there are websites out there, or recipe keeping software, and maybe even some tutorials on how to put this together.
So far I have found some interesting sites and ideas. I’ve also been clicking around in my Microsoft Office to see different templates and such that I may be able to use. My biggest hurdle is going to be inputting all the recipes into my computer first. I had started that last year, but when my hard drive died, I lost all the recipes I had typed out. But I DID learn my lesson and will be saving all of the new recipes on disks and the external hard drive.
Here are some of the interesting sites I have found so far.
Tastebook – this is a beautiful site. It has great videos that take you step by step through each stage of creating a professional looking yet personal cookbook.
I’m bookmarking this site, but so far it seems you can only upload recipes that you find online from other recipes sites.
Midwest Living has an online cookbook maker. This looks really cute but I haven’t figured out if I can input my own recipes or just use the ones from this web site. Hmmm…
How Create-A-Cookbook Works
- Sign in to your free Allrecipes account. Not a member yet? — Sign up today!
- Choose the recipes for the cookbook by saving them to your Recipe Box. You can also enter your personal favorites to Saved Private Recipes. Learn about Private Recipes
- Click the “Create-A-Cookbook” button above the recipe list which takes you to a page where you can select your cover, your cookbook title, the dedication, and reorder your recipes.
- Click “Preview Now” and see your cookbook!
- Want to change the cover image? Put your own family pictures with your favorite recipes? No problem! Just click “Personalize” and you have the ability to upload your own images to make the cookbook all yours!
- Once you have completed and submitted your payment information, your personalized cookbook will arrive in 10-14 business days!
Wow. There’s a lot out there!
I will keep you posted on how this all turns out. And if you’ve done something like this before or have any ideas you’d like to share.. Please feel free to leave me a comment!