A few months back, the hubster and I had the chance to taste some of the delicious samplings at the Animal Kingdoms Boma restaurant.
One of the soups they had really surprised me. I’m not a big fan of the ginger spice, so I was a little apprehensive to try their Carrot Ginger Soup, but LOVED the taste and the creaminess.
While menu planning for the week, I decided that I wanted to try and find the recipe for the Carrot Ginger soup.
Well I found the recipe but I hit a little snag.. it had heavy cream in it.. UGH.. not good for this lactose intolerant gal..
After searching around a little more, I quickly found another option to make sure the soup would still be creamy..
The answer was potatoes.
I wasn’t 100% convinced this was going to work out, but after putting together my own recipe, I headed to the kitchen.
And the outcome???….
Was nothing shorty of extreme Yummyness..
Carrot Ginger Soup ~ Dairy Free Deliciousness
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups finely chopped carrot (I used baby carrots for extra sweetness)
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes – (I used red potatoes for this one, so didn’t peel them)
- 1 Tablespoon ground ginger (I’m sure fresh would be even more wonderful but I didn’t have it)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions, sauté 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes, cook for 1 minute.
- Add ginger and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove pot from heat. Allow to cool.
- ** DO NOT try to blend the soup without letting it cool. It will cause a HUGE mess in your blender **
- In small batches, blend the soup into a thin puree. If you want a creamier soup, you can allow it to blend a little longer. I don’t like chunky pieces, so I let it blend a little longer.
- Once the soup is blended, pour soup back in the original pot and simmer until your ready to serve.