Here in Florida, we have to basically fake Fall.
What I mean is that we don’t have all the beautiful fall colors and cooler weather that seems to really make it feel like Fall in most areas.
I’m not complaining at all. I do love the weather we have here this time of year and all the way into next summer. It just takes a little imagination to really get into the Fall mood. Thank goodness for all the wonderful food and spices that are around. From Pumpkins to cloves, with just a few ingredients, this Florida girl can fake Fall.
Delicious Things Come in Package
I recently received a sample package of Rodelle Gourmet Cooking spices and products. The box contained a mixture of different items. Wassail Mix Mulling Spice Blend, Turkey Brine (still trying to figure out how I will use that one), Pumpkin Extract, and real Vanilla Bean.
To say that I was a little excited to try these products out is an understatement. I have never made Wassail, nor have I ever cooked with Pumpkin Extract or Vanilla Bean before, so this was going to be fun.
Celebrating Fall with Foods
Utilizing all the ingredients into one recipe would be a bit much, so I decided that I would focus on just one “Fall” type recipe. Some of my girlfriends were coming over on Halloween night and I thought it would be fun to celebrate Fall with some tasty treats.
I had been seeing a lot of recipes for raw protein balls and truffle type snacks, so I decided this would be the recipe I wanted to put together.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Chocolate Truffles
When you have a group of ladies all together in one room, it’s never a bad idea to have some delicious chocolate treats and a warm drink on hand.
This recipe was really easy to put together. No cooking or baking involved. Just some simple ingredients in a food processor and voila, instant chocolate happiness.
They Didn’t Even Know It Was Healthy
My friends are wonderful. Not only can we laugh and be silly together, but they put up with being my guinea pigs when it comes to trying new recipes.
When I brought these out, they quickly asked what they were made with..
..knowing sure well I wasn’t going to tell them till they tried it first..
They bravely grabbed a truffle and took their first bite.
They liked it. There were a few yums and mmm’s, and then the inevitable.. what’s in it?
When I told them the ingredients, they were all pleasantly surprised. A sweet, decadent chocolate treat that is actually really food for you.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cacoa nibs or chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Extract
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic sugar
- Place 1 cup of walnuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the dates and pulse again with the walnuts until the dates are finely chopped and start sticking to the walnuts.
- Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder, cacao nibs, honey, coconut oil, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon pumpkin extract. Pulse all the ingredients together until they begin to stick together.
- Roll the truffle mixture into small (or large) size balls.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- Place 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon organic sugar in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Remove the truffles from the refrigerator and individually roll each one in the powder mixture.
- Serve immediately or store in air tight container in the refrigerator.
Don’t Forget the Warm Drinks
I watch a lot of old movies. Especially around the holidays. So, I have heard of Wassail before but I have never had it. Looking at old recipes and traditions, it seemed like it would be a delicious concoction and worth a try.
Fall Feeling Accomplished
My friends and I loved it.
All it took was a gallon of apple cider and 1/2 cup of Rodelle’s Wassail mix in a crock-pot for a few hours and we were all set. (FYI – The Wassail mixture is not gluten-free)
That fall feeling had been achieved!
Thanks so much to Rodelle for the sample package and allowing me to try out their great products.