My husband has a short list of sweet treats that he likes. No big fancy cakes, no decadent, over the top desserts for my guy. Just simple, tried and true recipes are his usual requests.
Those requests are actually few and far between too. Give the man a handful of peanut chocolate candies and he’s a happy guy.
This, of course, helps me keep my sweet tooth at bay. Not having to stock the pantry during the week with sweets comes in quite handy. When your only options are fruits, veggies, or popcorn for a late evening snack, sticking with a healthy lifestyle is pretty doable.
When His Sweet Tooth Does Come Calling
Now don’t get me wrong. We do like our treats now and then. Me, more than him for sure, but his sweet tooth does make its appearance every so often.
When it does, I can usually pin point exactly what he wants. In the summer time it’s usually something cold and tart. A fresh frozen fruit bar or a homemade Key Lime Pie are ones he really enjoys.
Revamping An Old Favorite
Over the past few years though we have hit a snag when it came to me making Key Lime Pies. Dairy and gluten had become allergens in our family, and were unfortunately, main ingredients in our favorite recipe.
This year however, I was bound and determined to put together something that would work.
With my old recipe in hand and a few vegan recipes I found online, I eventually put together a list of ingredients that I was cautiously comfortable experimenting with.
I crushed, I mixed, I measured, and I blended. And as I poured the ingredients into their little muffin cups, I said a little prayer.
The possibilities of messing this up were there. Yet, as I closed my eyes and slid my finger across the leftovers in the container, a BIG smile crept across my face.
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, and Delicious
If you are any kind of foodie like myself, you know what it’s like to let out a HUGE sigh of relief when a revamped recipe actually works.
To say that I let out a HUGE sigh of relief when I tasted these Mini Key Lime Pies for the first time is an understatement. There was actual dancing in the kitchen I think. A happy, YES IT WORKED, kind of celebration was had.
Not only did it work, but it tasted AMAZING! My husband said it actually tasted better then ones I had made in the past.
A revamped dairy and gluten packed recipe was now allergy friendly for the whole family!
Yours To Enjoy
- 1 Box of Enjoy Life Vanilla Honey Graham Cookies
- 1/4 cup melted Butter Flavored Coconut Oil (more may be needed)
- 1 cup raw soaked cashews , drained
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk, shaken well
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 7-8 Key Limes ( 1 Tbsp for zest, 1/2 cup juice)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Place paper cupcake liners in muffin tin and Preheat oven to 375' F
- Break graham cookies in half and place in food processor. Pulse to a fine crumb. Add in butter flavored coconut oil and pulse a few more times.
- Place spoonfuls of graham mixture into lined muffin tin. Pressing down with fingers to form crust.Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until a nice, golden brown color.
- Combine all the filling ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Taste and add more honey or key lime juice if needed
- Pour filling into each muffin tin. Tap the muffin tin lightly to release air bubbles.
- Top with lime zest.
- Place in freezer for 2 to 4 hours or overnight.
- Melt chocolate chips with coconut oil to use as a drizzle.
- Remove a few minutes before serving to allow a slight thaw.
- Drizzle chocolate over the top or spread over the whole mini pie.
- Keep in covered container in freezer IF you have any leftovers.
Pin It To Make Later
Mini Key Lime Pie | Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free | Allergy Friendly